Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Carrageenan – What is this?

January 22, 2013
By: Stephanie McCoy, Owner of A Whole Green Life

 
What you will learn:

•What it is.
•Why you don’t want to consume it.
•What other products you can buy.

This is what I was asking myself as I read the label on the coconut milk that I really have enjoyed having on my cereal, in my smoothies and baking with. I was buying the organic, non-GMO, vegan coconut milk and yet it still contained something that I wasn’t sure about. The side of me that has a passion for this nutrition arena and overall good health decided that I had to do some research and learn more about this Carrageenan.

Here are the interesting things that I have learned while doing this research:

Carrageenan is a thickening agent and is the plant based equivalent to casein found in milk products. It is used in dairy and non-dairy products as a thickening agent, emulsifier and/or stabilizer.

Carrageenan is derived from red seaweed by using alkali solvents. The solvents that are used would remove skin and tissues from your face and hands as any acid would.

The Cornucopia Institute’s study results yield that Carrageenan is recognized as a carcinogen in lab animals and is therefore classified as a “possible human carcinogen” by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. It is also known to cause inflammatory bowel disease in rats. People with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) or other gastrointestinal disorders are cautioned to avoid using Carrageenan. If you want to get the scientific side of it, you can read the study at www.cornucopia.org/carrageenan.

Carrageenan is “natural” but just about everything is “natural”, inlcuding plutonium, mercury, arsenic, etc., so don’t be fooled by that label.

Carrageenan is a gel like substance and resembles petroleum jelly and coats the inside of the stomach, leading to tummy upsets. Because this is an ingredient found in soymilks, people often confuse their upset and blame the soy. Although soy, unless organic, should not be ingested anyway.

My last visit to the market had me reading the refrigerator and shelf versions and I chose WestSoy Unsweetened Almond Soymilk (organic of course) and Pacific’s Organic Oat milk and Trader Joe’s, Unsweetened Organic Rice Drink. I also found others that were safe, but only in the shelf varieties. My next trip to Whole Foods will certainly include some additional product label reading!

Here is a link to a shopping guide that will help you to avoid this Carrageenan ingredient www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan.

Thank you for reading!

Remember, if you can’t pronounce it, your body won’t know what to do with it!

If you like what you see here, please like our Facebook page for continuous information on living A Whole Green Life!

If you have any questions, please contact info@awholegreenlife.com!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment